2008-10-06

shades of grey  

0 comments

After a month of craziness (which is a relative term for a middle aged woman: actually means travelling for two weeks, one car accident, three concerts and a family weekend at college) which may be absolute normality for the younger folk....I am back!

About a month ago, my husband and I went to an art show which featured this most amazing artist, Todd Carpenter, whose works are done in monochrome. We both fell in love with his work.....most of which looks photographic....until you come right up to the image, and you realize it is a painting. His website does NOT do the works justice.....you have to see them in person to fully experience the duality of the work. Some are so alternatingly haunting and inviting....his color (or greyscale) precision is only appreciated after many viewings. I am so glad I was introduced to his art through d.goth, who is an amazing artist as well as mentor and facilitator of other artists. She is having her own workshops of art and poetry throughout the fall. Please go to www.dgoth.net to find out more about her art and haiku workshops.

I bought my husband one of the pieces, as a surprise for his 50th birthday, one that he had loved from the show. But the one I am lusting for is this one ...it is the one I want for MY 50th birthday (which is next year). I hope there is some way I can possess it....I can't explain how it moves me.

So, I am totally promoting Mr. Carpenter this week (which may turn into a month, at the rate I am posting!)....so please go enjoy his website. If I get any info from him on upcoming shows I will be sure to post them here!

Who knew a world in black and white could be so endlessly fascinating?? Thanks, Todd, for showing us that it can be.....

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ shades of grey